Article updated in 2011. Published first in July 2009.
Know your REAL / Correct Sun-Sign below. Check the Side-real dates in the table included below and then read Linda Goodman again but now the correct Sun Sign! :)
Lately there have been a lot of discussions and articles on “additional sun sign” which is downright bogus and not even worthy of taking a note of it. There have been some other (FoxNews) talks such as “Your Sign is different and all the weekly and monthly predictions are worthless etc etc”. These articles are written by folks based on discussions with some HALF-Baked Potatoes! J It is partially true:
1. They are correct in the sense that the “Real Sun signs” are different than the Western Astrology follows. i.e. Aries REAL Sun sign is from April 15 (USA) to May 14/15th (USA) and not from March 21 to April 20 etc.
2. But they are WRONG in saying that the predictions by Western Astrologers are wrong! The reason is simple: They also calculate Saturn, Jupiter and other planets with the same (wrong) calendar! J So two wrong cancel out and they get similar results! (Well almost!)
3. If you are born on say April 9th – You are Piscean Sun Sign (and not Aries) and you should read Linda Goodman in that way but prediction would not change that much:
4. EXAMPLE: If you are a 9th April Born or
a. Indian Astrologer would say – Pisces Sun – From May 2011 to Dec 2011 – Shani will be in Kanya (Virgo) directly (close degrees) opposite to your Sun – This shows issues/trouble from/with seniors/authorities at workplace or Govt.
b. Western Astrologer would say – You are Aries – The Saturn is in Libra and hence opposite to your Sun and hence this shows issues/trouble from/with seniors/authorities at workplace or Govt until Saturn is in Libra! J
c. There will be some differences due to SIGN characteristics considered but Western astro predictions would not be completely out of place.
The Indian Astrology has been using CORRECT SUN Signs for thousands of years as explained below by correcting for “Procession of Equinox” which is caused by Earth’s Axis being wobble! J
(There have been some debates in India which “Ayanash” to use. (Lahiri, KP, Chitra, Tilak Panchang etc). I found Lahiri the most trust-worthy! B. V. Raman’s Astrological journal uses incorrect Ayanansh. It is a great journal though – One of the best! The difference is not huge though!)
Know your REAL / Correct Sun-Sign below. Check the Side-real dates in the table below and then read Linda Goodman again but now the correct Sun Sign! :)
1. Basically the Axis of the Earth is not stationary and also rotates in a gigantic circle and takes 84600 years to complete the rotation. (It is called as "Paranchan Gati" of the Axis).
2. Due to this movement of the axis, every 72 years, the Equinox moves 1 degree farther -- Called as "Procession of Equinox". This process goes on for 26,000 years.
3. So every 72 years the Sun Sign Calendar needs a movement of 1 day ahead. (I will need to check if this has to happen endlessly – at some point in time, due to rotation of the axis – the reduction could also start happening?? – I will need to get more information.) I just wanted to add that some 1728 (aprx) years back – TROPICAL Sun Signs coincided with the SIDEREAL ones. After that every 72 years it is going 1 day/degree (aprx) ahead.
4. That is why Makar-Sankranti was celebrated in India on 14th of Jan in last century and now slowly becoming 15th of Jan.5. Makar (i.e. Capricorn) Sankranti is the day when SUN enters Capricorn sign. This is the RULE OF THUMB if you do not remember complete calendar of Sun Signs.
You can search it on wiki with "sidereal" keyword: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sidereal_astrology.
Check Sidereal Dates below (In BOLD FONT are the real ones – They are American Dates, Subtract 1 for Indian dates)
March 21 - April 20
April 15 - May 15
April 21 - May 21
May 16 - June 15
May 22 - June 23
June 16 - July 15
June 24 - July 23
July 16 - August 15
July 24 - August 23
August 16 - Sept 15
August 24 - Sept 22
Sept 16 - October 15
Sept 23 - October 23
Oct 16 - Nov15
October 24 - Nov 22
November 16 - Dec15
Nov 23 - Dec 21
Dec16 - January 14
Dec 22 - Jan 19
Jan 15 - Feb14
January 20 - Feb 18
Feb15 - March 14
February 19 - March 20
March 15 - April 14
“Vedic astrology is based on the sidereal or Zodiac" href="file://wiki/Sidereal_zodiac"visible zodiac, accounting for the shift of the equinoxes by a correction called ayanamsa. The difference between the Vedic and the Western zodiacs is currently around 24 degrees. This corresponds to a separation of c. 1700 years, when the vernal equinox was approximately at the center of the constellation Pisces and the tropical zodiac coincided with the sidereal one (around 285 AD according to N C Lahiri). The separation is believed to have taken place in the centuries following Ptolemy, apparently going back to Indo-Greek transmission of the system. But earlier Greek astronomers like Eudoxus spoke of vernal equinox at 15° in Aries, while later Greeks spoke of vernal equinox at 8° and then 0° in Aries (cf. p.16, S. Jim Tester in ref.), which suggests use of sidereal zodiac in Greece before Ptolemy and Hipparchus. The ayanamsa correction has always been made in Vedic astrology, whose existence spans around thousands of years.”