There is a wide-spread lack of knowledge, misinformation or a mystery among common people about “Mahadasha”. When an Astrologer says “You are under Chandra Mahadasha” – The response is – “Oh, Am I under some kind of Mahadasha? What is the effect of Mahadasha – when it will be over?” J
That is, the word “Mahadasha” is taken with a negative connotation. This article gives you basic information about Mahadasha – Antardasha and their sequence and how a person starts his life with a specific mahadasha.
PART A: What is a Mahadasha?
1. Some or other Mahadasha is always ON for every person at a given point in time.
2. Each Mahadasha has multiple Antardasha in it of all the planets.
3. Sequence of Mahadasha for everybody is the same. Just the starting point is different.
4. There are various types of Mahadasha systems such as
a. “Winshottari Mahadasha” (The period of 120 years)
b. “Ashtottari Mahadasha” (Period of 108 years),
c. “Yogini Mahadasha” etc
5. Winshottari Mahadasha system is the most commonly used and the most reliable one. Winshottari Mahadasha will be the topic of this article.
6. By simple calculations it is quite obvious that almost 1/6th people on the face of the Earth are running Shani Mahadasha (19 out of 120 years of Wimshottari Mahadasha are under this one) and a little less than 1/6th are under Raahu (18 years) and Budh (17 years) Mahadasha.
7. Exactly 1/6th folks are under SHUKRA Mahadasha (20 out of 120).
8. Winshottari Mahadasha shows a period of 9 Mahadashas which add to 120 years as follows:
a. Ketu Mahadasha 7 years
b. Shukra Mahadasha: 20 years
c. Surya Mahadasha: 6 years
d. Chandra Mahadasha: 10 years
e. Mangal Mahadasha: 7 years
f. Raahu Mahadasha: 18 years
g. Guru Mahadasha: 16 years
h. Shani Mahadasha: 19 years
i. Budh Mahadasha: 17 years
9. Every Mahadasha has 9 Antardashas (Proportional 120:7 so 7:?; 120:20 so 7:?)
a. Ketu Mahadasha starts with Ketu Antardasha and the sequence of Antardasha is exactly mentioned as above bulleted list.
i. Each Antardasha is exactly proportional to its length in 120 years i.e. Shukra Mahadasha is 120:20 i.e. 1/6th. So in Ketu Mahadasha of 7 years, the Shukra Mahadasha would be of 14 months.
ii. Ketu Mahadasha will end with Budh Antardasha
b. Shukra Mahadasha will start with Shukra Antardasha followed by Surya Antardasha, Chandra Antardasha etc in the SAME sequence as mentioned above, ending with Ketu Mahadasha. Surya Mahadasha is 120:6 i.e. 1/20th. So in Shukra Mahadasha Surya Antardasha would be of 1 year.
c. And So on
10. These years have come from Sanskrit Scriptures.
11. I have not yet got enough chance to decipher why these years assigned to a specific planet. SO I have some questions which I do not (yet) have answers to:
a. Why not 18 years each for Raahu Shani and Budh?
b. Why Ketu and Mangal both 7 years
c. Why Shukra Mahadasha the biggest for 20 years and so on
d. What if a person lives for more than 120 years (Restart from top?)
PART B: For a specific Person, How the Mahadasha sequence is calculated?
TO ANSWER IT QUICKLY:
1. At the time of the birth of a person: Moon is in some Rashi (Sign) and some Nakshatra. The person will start the Mahadasha on the birth-time Moon’s Nakshatra-swami.
a. The degree of the Moon will decide how much of the Mahadasha completed before birth and How much will be due after the birth.
b. This is also called as Mahadasha period which is BHUKT (period finished before birth) and BHOGYA (pending to be used after birth)
c. The circular sequence of Mahadashas will be the same for every person regardless of where you start it.
1. There are 12 signs that are divided in 27 Nakshatras.
a. Each Sign is 30 degrees.
2. Each Nakshatra is of 13.33 degrees or 13 degrees and 20 minutes.
a. Each Nakshatra has 4 equal parts called as a ‘Charan’ of 3 degrees and 20 minutes (There are also Charan-Swamis)
b. Charans are also called as Navamansh – As there are 9 (Navamansh/Charan) in one Sign! J
3. Every Nakshatra has a planet that is its Nakshatra-Swami (owner of the Nakshatra)
a. There are 9 planets that are Nakshatra Swami – Classic Term: Nava-Grahas
b. They are exactly the ones mentioned above in the Mahadasha sequence.
c. i.e. Nakshatra-Swami sequence is the same as Mahadasha sequence
d. i.e. There are 3 Nakshatras owned by 1 Planet mentioned above. (Nava-Graha)
4. The table at the end of the Article Summarized the Nakshatras and their Swamis:
5. For example: My Moon Sign is Vrushchik and Nakshatra is Jyeshtha
a. Jyeshtha is owned by BUDH.
b. So my 1st Mahadasha in life would be of BUDH.
c. If the moon was at the start of the Jyeshtha – I would have had 16.99 years of Budh mahadasha after birth
d. If it was exactly in the middle of Jyeshtha nakshatra – 8.5 years of Budh mahadasha before and after birth
e. And so on
Just imagine how difficult and time consuming it would have been to create a horoscope with all those Shodash-Wargas (16 charts) and Winshottari Mahadasha-Antardasha Tables! Today a very small software can give you all that information with a few clicks!
~Milind N Chitambar
~Milind N Chitambar